Who doesn’t love the pan-fried potatoes that perfectly crispy outside but tender inside?
I know most of the folks love pan-fried potatoes like me!
Pan-fried potato is a perfect side dish that goes with breakfast and dinner as well.
When you think of potato recipe, most of you think of just roast, mash or deep fried. But you never think of pan-frying them.
I tried this easy and simple recipe for dinner and loved it. Thanks to my perfect companion, which helps me to turn out my recipe perfect and delicious!
Do you know who it was? That is my favorite pan!
So, here I am going to reveal the best pan for frying potatoes with a comprehensive buying guide. Before jump to the best pan, go through our buying guide that helps you to choose the best one.
If you are in a hurry, this is my favorite pick:
Lodge Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet
Nutrition Facts: Pan Fried Potatoes
(1c raw potatoes fried in 1 tsp oil)
What Kind of Potatoes is Best for Pan Frying?
There are different types of potatoes available. But few of them are best for pan frying.
Red potatoes, new potatoes, and sweet potatoes are best for pan-frying. As you compare the shape with traditional fries, they are too short. But they are perfect for pan-frying.
You can use Baby Yukon gold for pan-frying. They are slightly sweet, smooth, bit waxy texture and having moist flesh. They are stand up well for pan-frying, grilling, baking as well as making French fries.
You can also use other creamy variety potatoes for pan-frying.
Russet potatoes are the best choice for making French fries as it has high starch content.
Check out our top picks of risotto pan.
How to Pan Fry Potatoes?
Pan-fried potato is a simple, easy but delicious side dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You can make these pan-fried potatoes with the right recipe as well as you need a right pan.
Here’s the simple recipe of pan-fried potatoes that you will make it at perfection easily.
2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoon salted butter
Ground black pepper
½ tablespoon chili powder
- Wash the potatoes and dry them with a kitchen towel. Slice potatoes round in 1/3 inch thick.
- Heat a large pan on medium heat. Add oil into the pan then add butter. Stir it until it melts together.
- Add potatoes in the oil and butter mixture.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Let cook potatoes for 5 minutes until it turns into a nice golden color.
- Flip the potatoes and again allow them to cook for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle chili powder and stir occasionally. Again, cook potatoes for 2 minutes more till they become tender.
- Serve hot and enjoy delicious and crispy pan-fried potatoes.
Want to make delicious flan? Then check out our top picks.
Why are Not My Pan-Fried Potatoes Get Crispy?
Sometimes fried potatoes get soggy rather than crispy, they get burnt rather than nice brown golden colour.
But why it happens?
Perhaps you are making one of the following mistakes.
- You are overcrowding the ingredients in the pan while frying. So, they are getting steamed.
- If you are tossing wet potatoes for frying.
- You are may using potatoes that high in starch content. You should soak them before tossing in the pan for frying.
- Using the wrong oil also may lead to sogginess to the potatoes after frying.
Want to make tomato sauce at home? Then try this pans.
Tips for Perfect Pan-Fried Potatoes
- Use butter for the crispiness of potatoes for frying. You can also use other high smoking point cooking oil for frying i.e. peanut oil.
- Don’t add spices just at the beginning of the cooking as it may burn quickly. Try to add them at the last minutes of cooking.
- Slice the potatoes evenly, so they will cook evenly at the end.
- Add enough oil in the pan, so that potatoes won’t stick to the pan.
- Don’t overcrowded ingredients in the pan.
Best Pan for Frying Potatoes
Lodge Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Hot Handle Holder- 12 Inch Cast Iron Frying Pan
The Lodge Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet is a quality American product that caters to every cooking needs for cooking a great meal. You can bake, braise, fry and roast the food in this pan without any hassle.
As it is well-seasoned cast iron skillet, no need for additional seasoning. It is ready to use cookware. After more and more usage, the seasoning will become better and better.
Cleaning and care are much easy. After the hand washing of this pan, keep the pan on the burner for making it dry. Coat the pan with a thin layer of cooking oil. For rust prevention, dry the pan quickly and store it in a cool and dry place.
It comes with a leather hot handle holder for a good grip. It protects your hands up to 600-degree F.
Pro Tips for using this pan:
1.If you are using an electric stove, don’t apply above medium-high heat. The pan may get ripped at high temperatures.
- Before the start off cooking, preheat the pan for at least 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat early, as remaining heat held by cast iron cookware helps to continue to cook food for remaining time.
- Try to use a metal spatula as this will help to make this rough cooking surface smooth.
Click Here for Latest Reviews and Price of Lodge Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet
- Solid construction
- Can be used on any heat source except microwave
- Comes with spiral stitching leather hot handle holder
- Easy cleaning and maintenance
- Well-seasoned pan
- Made in USA
- The main handle could have been long to easily handle the weight of the pan
Are going to sear scallops in a pan? then check out best pans.
Tramontina 80114/537DS Professional Aluminum Nonstick Restaurant Fry Pan
This Tramontina 80114/537DS Professional Aluminum Nonstick Restaurant Fry Pan is a commercial grade pan with NSF certification.
The pan meets all standards for cookware used in for professional kitchen. This pan can be used for home as well as for commercial use.
It is made up of heavy gauge aluminum. This PFOA-free non-stick pan comes with a gorgeous satin finish.
The pan is perfect for frying, sautéing, scrambling, searing the food. Its non-stick coating aids for easy food release.
It comes with a cast stainless steel handle with a removable silicone grip. You can use it in and out of the oven.
Click Here for Latest Reviews and Price of Tramontina 80114/537DS Professional Aluminum Nonstick Restaurant Fry Pan
- Beautiful satin finish
- Heats up quickly
- The ergonomic slope helps for getting food out with ease
- Easy cooking and clean-up
- Heavy handle
Lodge 13.25 Pre-Seasoned Inch Cast Iron Skillet
Lodge 13.25 Pre-Seasoned Inch Cast Iron Skillet is again another quality pan by Lodge.
This is a pre-seasoned cast iron skillet. So, you don’t need to season the pan. The pan is seasoned with 100% vegetable oil, so there is chemical or synthetic coating used for seasoning.
It caters to the searing, frying, baking, broiling, braising needs of the various recipes. You can sear meat at high temperatures with this pan. It has great heat retention ability and allows for even heat distribution.
It is featured with two handles that ease heavy lifting. The two subtle side lips which help for pouring.
Click Here for Latest Reviews and Price of Lodge 13.25 Pre-Seasoned Inch Cast Iron Skillet
- Sturdy construction
- A large and heavy pan that can cook family-sized meal
- Good source of nutritional iron
- Easy to use
- The handle is a bit short to lift the weight of the thing
- A bit difficult to wash
Check out here best wok for gas stove.
Cuisinel Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet 2-Piece Set
Cuisonel Pre-seasoned Cast Iron Skillet 2-Piece Set comes with a smooth finish that enables even heat distribution. It is a versatile pan as you can bake, fry, broil, sauté, grill meat and vegetables easily.
It is not dishwasher safe cookware. Only hand wash is recommended.
You can clean it with salt and warm water. But should not use soap for cleaning the pan. You can use natural oil for restoring it.
The skillet can be used in a kitchen, on the backyard grill or an open fire at camping. This skillet is heat resistant up to 480 degrees F.
Click Here for Latest Reviews and Price of Cuisonel Pre-seasoned Cast Iron Skillet 2-Piece Set
- Even heat distribution
- Comes with heat-resistant holder
- Economical price
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Not dishwasher safe
- Cooking surface is a bit rough
Anolon 82247 Advanced Hard Anodized Nonstick Frying Pan Set
This Anolon 82247 Advanced Hard Anodized Nonstick Frying Pan Set includes two fry pans, 10 inch, and 12 inches respectively.
It is constructed of sturdy hard anodize. The interior is non-stick and warm bronze-toned non-stick exterior. The non-stick material makes it easy to clean.
It is featured with unique sure-grip handles which allows for a comfortable grip. They are dual riveted for extra strength.
It is oven-safe skillet up to 400-degree F. So, now you can start to cook your dish on stovetop and can finish cooking in the oven.
Click Here for Latest Reviews and Price of Anolon 82247 Advanced Hard Anodized Nonstick Frying Pan Set
- Stylish design
- Metal utensils friendly
- Cleaning is breeze
- Lifetime warranty
- Not dishwasher safe
- Walls could have been less slope, so that frying surface will maximize
Frequently Asked Questions
How long to cook pan-fried potatoes?
You should cook potatoes without flipping until it gets a golden color. You should fry it for 10 minutes. Then it will take 5 minutes to cook after flipping the potatoes.
What is the best cooking oil for home fries?
You can use butter for potatoes for frying. Butter burns rapidly over high heat. But gives a nice crispness to the potatoes. You can also use other light cooking oil with high smoking point oil for frying. Peanut oil is the best oil to pan-fries.
Why do my potatoes always stick to the pan?
Sometimes potatoes stick to the pan while frying. If you are not adding enough amount of oil for frying. A very little amount of oil may lead to sticking the potatoes to the pan. Overcrowding potatoes may be another reason for sticking to the pan.
If you are using cast iron pan longer preheating is necessary. If you are not preheating the pan and oil, it will lead to sticking potatoes to the pan.
You should choose the firm cooking potatoes rather than mealy ones and wash them thoroughly before adding them in the pan.
Related Video: Pan Fried Potatoes Recipe
Now you know the some of the best pans for frying potatoes. Also, know the factors through which you can evaluate each of them.
You can assess them thoroughly and select the pan that most suitable for you.
With the best frying pan, you can enjoy crispy and delicious pan-fried potatoes whenever you will be craving!
Best Pan with Removable Bottom