Now you don’t need to waste your time and money in expensive restaurants for enjoying delicious scallop. You could become a good chef on your own.
Isn’t it possible?
Yes, definitely it’s possible!
For this, you should get hold of the simply best pan for searing scallop and make searing easy.
Today, I am going to reveal best pan for searing scallop with a comprehensive buying guide. Before jump to best pan models read our buying guide that helps to select the best one.
If you are in a hurry, then this is my top pick:
How to Sear Scallops in a Pan Like a Pro?
The searing scallop is much easy when you have the best pan and follows the right steps of recipes.
So, here I will share the recipe that helps to sear scallop like a pro every time!
There are two types of scallop you will get in the market. – Wet scallop and dry scallop.
Wet scallop has been used a chemical solution to preserve it. But I prefer to buy dry scallop for searing recipe. It gives scallop rich flavor and perfect golden crust.
Things you’ll need:
High smoke point oil
Clean cloth /Towel
- At first, you need to dry the dry scallop thoroughly. For this, you need to take a tray. Line up a clean towel on it. Place dry scallop one by one.
- Place one another towel on the top of scallops and gently press. Let it sit for 10 minutes to soak at room temperature to remove additional moisture. Eliminating Moisture helps you significantly for browning. It gives you quick and perfect golden crust.
- Now, take out the towel that laid on the top. Season the scallop by using salt and pepper.
- Take a pan and place it on gas or induction at high heat till it releases smoke.
- Add a tablespoon of oil. A pan should be ripping hot enough to get your scallop brown before the delicate middle part of scallops gets overcooked.
- When smoke starts to come, place the scallops around inside a pan in a ring shape. Don’t crowd your pan with scallop. Make sure they are not steaming each other. So, there should be enough place between two scallops. Ensure there will be even heat distribution to each scallop.
- Cook the scallop in the pan around two minutes till you get nice sear on it.
- Flip the scallop and cook again for around 40 to 90 seconds. Make sure the edges of the scallops are firm and the center part gets opaque.
- Slide the scallop at one side of the pan. Add the butter. Then tilt the pan. Base the scallop with brown butter.
- Now, your scallops are ready with rich flavor and amazing golden crust!
Watch the below video that shows how to sear scallops in a pan perfectly.
How Many Calories in Pan Seared Scallops?
Pan seared scallops= 1 scallop- 39 calories
For 1 serving
Why Won’t My Scallops Sear Properly?
Most of the folks have troubled to sear scallop precisely. There can be many reasons. But you should take care of following things to get your scallop to sear properly.
- Make sure your pan should be hot enough to sear.
- The scallops should be totally moisture-free as moisture is the greatest enemy of browning.
- Use high smoke point oil like grape seed oil, safflower oil or peanut oil.
- Don’t use wet scallop. Dry scallops will give you best results after searing.
Tips for searing scallops in a Pan
- You never get a good sear on wet scallop compared to dry ones. If you are using wet scallop for any reason, toss little corn starch on the wet scallop. It helps for taking away moisture and getting it brown.
- Buy scallop with “Dry packed” labeled. It contains no preservatives and not processed.
Want to buy Dry Packed scallop? Then click Here.
Best Pan for Searing Scallop
All-Clad 41126 Stainless Steel Fry Pan
The All-Clad 41126 Stainless Steel Fry Pan comes with try-ply construction which distributes the heat evenly. This allows you for searing scallop with minimal risk of burning. So, you don’t need to worry about your scallop which is the most important thing while searing.
This pan is light in weight and has a sturdy stick handle for easy maneuvering while sautéing. This 12-inch pan has a wide flat base so your scallop not will be get crowded while searing and cooks evenly.
As this frying pan compatible with all types of a cooktop. So, you can use it safely on any type of cooktop. You can also use it in oven or broiler up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit.
Actually, it is perfect pan for searing, browning from the egg to meat. So, the searing scallop is very easy with this All-Clad 41126 Stainless Steel Fry Pan.
Though it is expensive, looking at its durability and life, worth the bucks you pay for!
- Try-ply construction
- Even heat distribution
- Compatible with all types of cooktop
- Dishwasher safe
- Oven and broiler safe
- Little hard to clean
Mauviel 3651.36 M’Steel Carbon Steel, Nonstick Fry Pan, 14 Inch
Mauviel 3651.36 M’Steel Carbon Steel fry pan is good heat conductor which makes it perfect for the searing scallop. Its steel construction bears up high temperature allows for longer preheating. So, this fry pan makes searing and browning easier.
It is constructed of a thick layer of carbon steel that makes it durable and long lasting. It can work perfectly on any type of cooktop. So, you can undoubtedly use it on gas, induction, electric cooktop.
The pan is coated with beeswax to keep from rusting. So, remove the beeswax before first use by cleaning with hot water.
If you season it precisely, it is perfect cookware. For seasoning, apply flavorless oil to the bottom of the pan and heat up the pan for 5 minutes. Allow it to cool before draining the oil. Then wipe down with a paper towel.
Overall it is a great pan if proper care has been taken.
- Compatible with all types of cookware
- Long and sturdy handle for easy maneuvering
- Easy to clean
- Bit heavy
Lodge 12 Inch Seasoned Carbon Steel Skillet
This Lodge 12 Inch Seasoned Carbon Steel Skillet has amazing heat retention properties and capable to cook food evenly every time. It heats up quickly and retains the heat for longer.
The skillet is preferred in the professional kitchens especially for searing and browning.
This skillet can bear up high heat which allows for perfect searing and browning. That’s why this is one of the best pans for searing scallop with a perfect golden crust.
It comes with steel riveted handle ensures long-lasting use. The handle angle of the skillet is conducive for both stovetop and oven cooking. It is light in weight as it weighs about 5 pounds. This is lighter than typical cast iron skillet.
The skillet works on all types of cooktops like gas, induction, electric. It also can be used on open flame and oven.
It is pre-seasoned skillet that is ready to use. So this saves your pre-seasoning job prior to first use.
- Easy to handle
- Easy to clean
- Handle gets hot while cooking. But you can use handle cover which solves the issue.
All-Clad 4112B D3 ARMOR Stainless Steel Tri-Ply Bonded Dishwasher Safe Fry Pan Cookware, 12-Inch
This All-Clad 4112B D3 ARMOR Stainless Steel fry pan comes with a wide flat base. It is featured with low profile shape which is versatile. It has an aluminum core between stainless steel interior and exterior.
The tri-ply bonded metal construction allows for fast and even heat distribution. It has excellent browning and searing capability. You will get the rich flavor and golden crust for high heat cooking with oil which is an amazing part of this pan.
You can use it straight away from the stove to an oven that eases your culinary task. So you don’t need to use multiple pans.
If you are looking for a perfect pan especially for the searing scallop, then this is the best pan. Though it is pricey, worth the money.
If you are a newbie or even professional at cooking, this is the best buy for all.
- Wide flat base
- Stainless steel interior perfect for searing and browning
- Oven and broiler safe up to 500-degrees F.
- Clean up is not much easy
Farberware Restaurant Pro Aluminum Nonstick 10-Inch Skillet
If you want to enjoy restaurant-style cooking, then this Farberware Restaurant Pro Aluminum Nonstick 10-Inch Skillet is the best to buy. Now you can enjoy restaurant-style scallop recipes at home only with this skillet.
This skillet allows fast and even heat distribution. It comes with a durable non-stick interior that offers scratch resistance and ease in the clean-up.
The skillet is featured with comfortable rubberized handle provides a firm grip. It allows for easy handling during cooking.
The handle is long and heavy. If there are no ingredients in a pan, it is easy to tip over. The long handle eases the tossing of food.
This Farberware skillet is a great addition to your kitchen which is budget- friendly too.
- Heats evenly
- Long handle
- Easy to clean
- Heavy handle leads to pan sit lopsided when it is empty
So, these are the best pan for the searing scallop. There are so many pans available in the market. Some pans are cheaply made and don’t last long. It is pretty hard to find the best one.
But choosing any of the above pan will not let you down. They all are ideal for searing the scallop as well as durable for longer use.
This pan gives you perfect scallop delight with melt in mouth texture and perfect golden crust.
Image credit via Flickr Creative Commons: Timothy Vollmer