Whether it is pasta, pizza or chicken, tomato sauce adds wonderful flavor to many dishes. As you know it is the foundation of several dishes, these cuisines are just incomplete with tangy and delicious tomato sauce.
I love tomato sauce and I usually prefer to make tomato sauce at home only. There are tons of health benefits of homemade tomato sauce than a packaged ones.
My homemade tomato sauce turns out perfect with, not just the right recipe, but also there is a huge share of my favorite pan.
So, here I will share with you some essential aspects of tomato sauce and the best pan for making tomato sauce. So that you can make this healthy and delicious dish at home hassle-free.
If you are in a hurry, here’s my favorite pick for you:
Table of Contents
- 1 Which Pan Material is Best to Cook Tomato Sauce?
- 2 How to Make Tomato Sauce in a Pan?
- 3 Tips for Making Tomato Sauce in a Pan
- 4 Best Pan for Tomato Sauce
- 4.1 Lodge 7.5 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven. XL Red Enamel Dutch Oven (Island Spice Red) – EC7D43
- 4.2 All-Clad D3 Stainless Cookware, 12-Inch Fry Pan with Lid
- 4.3 3. Calphalon Classic Nonstick Dutch Oven with Cover, 5 quart
- 4.4 4. All-Clad 6202 SS Copper Core 5-Ply Bonded Dishwasher Safe Saucepan
- 4.5 5. Cuisinart FCT3545-24 French Classic Tri-Ply Stainless 4-1/2-Quart Dutch Oven with Cover
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 6 Takeaways
Which Pan Material is Best to Cook Tomato Sauce?
As tomatoes are acidic in nature, they are reactive to pan you cook with. So you need to be careful while choosing the pan for making tomato sauce.
Metal pan is not the right option anymore to cook tomatoes in it. If you cook a tomato sauce in metal cookware, it leads to tasting bitter and metallic.
You can use a non-reactive pan like stainless steel, well-seasoned cast iron, non-stick pan, PFOA, and PTFE. They all are non-reactive and you can make your tomato sauce without any hassle with these types of pan.
Looking for pan for searing scallops? Then check out our top picks.
How to Make Tomato Sauce in a Pan?
If you want to make delicious homemade tomato sauce, you should follow the right recipe with the right pan. Here’s the simple but delicious tomato sauce recipe, you can serve with any snacks.
2 tablespoon virgin olive oil
28-ounce crushed tomatoes
½ cup onion minced
6-ounce tomato paste
4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
1 ½ dried basil leaves
3x 400g crushed tomatoes
¼ tablespoon ground black pepper
½ tablespoon of sea salt
½ of cup water
- Heat olive oil in a large and heavy pan on medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion in oil and stir for 5 minutes.
- Then add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and water. Stir it until it makes a smooth texture.
- Add salt, pepper,basil leaves into the mixture in a pan. Reduce the flame to low and allow it to cook.
- Stir the ingredients occasionally until the mixture turns to a thick consistency.
- Allow the tomato sauce to cool. Keep it aside for some hours.
Searching for juicer for juicing tomatoes? Then here are our top picks.
Tips for Making Tomato Sauce in a Pan
- Whether you are using fresh or canned tomatoes, try to roast them. Roasting tomatoes leads to add wonderful flavor to the final sauce.
- Consider adding little butter while making tomato sauce. It gives tomato sauce rich velvety taste.
- You can also add red and white wine. Red wine adds robustness and white wine adds fruity flavor to the sauce.
Best Pan for Tomato Sauce
Lodge 7.5 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven. XL Red Enamel Dutch Oven (Island Spice Red) – EC7D43
The Lodge 7.5 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven is multi-purpose cookware in which you can broil, braise, bake or roast the food. This cookware is perfect to marinate, refrigerate, cook and serve.
It has excellent heat retention and even heating capability. It is constructed of porcelain enameled on cast iron. This cookware made up of glass that becomes bonded to cast iron at high temperatures.
This porcelain enameled cast iron is a heat conductor. So, it is great at heat retention.
As it has a smooth glass surface, it won’t react to the food. Cast iron also won’t be affected by acidic food.
As it is non-reactive cookware to the food ingredient, it won’t react with tomato. So, this is a perfect tool for making tomato sauce.
- Great for cooking acidic food
- Seasoning is not required though it is cast iron cookware
- Great as a heat conductor, so food stays warm for longer
- Compatible with gas, electric, ceramic, induction cooktops as well as oven-safe up to 500-degree F
- Easy to clean and care
- Enamel can chip, so it should be store carefully
All-Clad D3 Stainless Cookware, 12-Inch Fry Pan with Lid
As stainless steel is non-reactive to acidic food, this All-Clad D3 Stainless Cookware is perfect for making delicious tomato sauce. Apart from stainless steel construction, it is well-made cookware with high performance.
It has 3 ply bonded construction comprises of stainless steel encapsulating an aluminium core for even heat distribution.
As this pan has low and sloped sides with a flat surface, perfect for making tomato sauce. You can sear, sauté, simmer, brown in this cookware.
It comes with stainless steel handles that stays cool while cooking. The handle is permanently secured with stainless steel rivets.
It is dishwasher safe cookware. For cleaning stuck-on food residue, you can use white vinegar and water mixture or Barkeeper’s friend also works.
- Aesthetic appearance
- Stainless steel handles that stay cool while cooking
- Compatible with all cooktops including induction
- Oven and broiler safe up to 600-degree Fahrenheit
- Covered with a limited lifetime warranty
3. Calphalon Classic Nonstick Dutch Oven with Cover, 5 quart
The Calphalon Classic Nonstick Dutch Oven is made up of sturdy hard-anodized aluminium with dual-layer non-stick. This non-stick coating aids for easy food release and easy clean-up.
Hard anodized aluminium helps for even heat distribution for cooking. It comes with cast stainless steel loop handles that allows ease in handling.
It has a convenient measuring mark, a straining cover and pours spout which is quite user-friendly. These features are such a time saver in your culinary tasks.
You can move it from stovetop to oven with ease. It is also oven safe up to 450-degree Fahrenheit.
Tempered glass lid with integrated straining holes allows removing extra liquid. So, it eliminates the need for colander. The glass lid also helps to monitor food while cooking.
- Great non-stick surface
- Strong loop handles
- Covered with a full lifetime warranty
- Easy clean-up
- The handles on top and sides are not well insulated
- Not dishwasher safe, only hand wash recommended
4. All-Clad 6202 SS Copper Core 5-Ply Bonded Dishwasher Safe Saucepan
The All-Clad 6202 SS Copper Core 5-Ply Bonded Dishwasher Safe Saucepan is a perfect pan for making sauces. It is made up of 5 ply bonded construction.
This is constructed of stainless steel, aluminium, heavy copper core. So, it is one of the durable pans by All-Clad.
It has a quality 18/10 stainless steel interior with a starburst finish. Due to the stainless-steel interior, it is an ideal pan for making tomato sauce. It won’t react with acidic food you cook in it.
- Stick resistance
- Even heat distribution
- Easy to maintain
- Dishwasher safe
5. Cuisinart FCT3545-24 French Classic Tri-Ply Stainless 4-1/2-Quart Dutch Oven with Cover
This Cuisinart FCT3545-24 French Classic Dutch Oven is constructed of triple-ply stainless which allows for even heat distribution.
It has aluminium core with stainless steel encasing that provides you professional performance. The stainless-steel handles stay cool while cooking. It allows for a comfortable grip too.
You can use it on a stove top, in the oven, and the broiler. It is also oven safe to 500-degree F. This saucepan is freezer safe. You can use it for food storage in the freezer.
- Sturdy construction
- Dishwasher safe
- Easy to clean
- No induction compatibility
Are you going to make flan dessert? Then try out these pans.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to save bitter tomato sauce?
If your tomato sauce has a bitter taste you can save it in different ways so far. You can add baking soda in it. Baking soda helps to neutralize the acidity levels. You can add a little amount of baking soda, then taste the tomato sauce whether its bitterness goes away or not.
You can also add a teaspoon of butter and whirl it till it melts. Adding a bit of sugar in tomato sauce also works to balance the acidity.
How long should you cook tomato sauce?
You can cook tomato sauce 30 minutes to 90 minutes. Short cooking time leads to thin tomato sauce. The flavor of the tomato is fresh when it cooks for a short time.
You can make comparatively thick tomato sauce with longer cooking time. It will get cooked flavor with a long-time cooking.
It depends upon you which flavor you want to your tomato sauce recipe.
For how long does homemade tomato sauce stay in the fridge?
The lifespan of homemade tomato sauce depends upon the way of cooking, type of ingredients you used and storage condition.
If you used tinned tomatoes, cooked garlic, and onion thoroughly for a longer time. In addition, you used sterile and clean, hygienic utensils, the tomato sauce stays for 8 to 10 days. The fridge temperature should be at 4-5 degrees Celsius.
If you use fresh tomatoes to make tomato sauce, it will stay for 4 to 5 days.
Check out here our top picks of pan for making risotto.
So, these are the best pan for tomato sauce. For making tomato sauce, you need cookware that won’t react with acidic food. These all pans are non-reactive.
If you need a durable and multipurpose pan, we highly recommend the Lodge 7.5 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven. It’s heat conduction capability, non-reactiveness to acidic food and ease in cleaning makes it perfect for making tomato sauce.
If you need a stainless-steel pan for making tomato sauce, All-Clad D3 Stainless Cookware is the best option.