The meat grinder is a popular kitchen device. You can prepare sausages and ground meat with the meat grinder. You can control your food by having a decent meat grinder.
If you own a meat grinder, the major concern is about cleanliness and maintenance to prevent it from rusting. The cleaning is significant as it directly contacted with raw meat. If it is not cleaned and maintained properly, there might germs and bacteria will grow from residue. There is also a possibility of rusting parts of meat grinder over the time.
So, I would like to share with you some easy tips on how to remove rust from the meat grinder. Hope, they will work for you.
Table of Contents
Regular Cleaning Is Important
The cleaning is a dreary task for most of the folks, but it is an essential step. The raw meat deposits could cause poisoning if it does not eliminated immediately. So, you should clean the grinder immediately after every use. It helps you for consistent performance of grinder and easy maintenance. It is also important to prevent rusting.
Regular cleaning of the meat grinder is not too hard. You can clean it by following easy steps:
- When you are finished your grinding task, feed two bread slices in the grinder and run it. It will take out the meat residue and grease.
- Disassemble the grinder.
- Soak it in hot soapy water. If your grinder is electric, then don’t soak motor in water.
- Clean with the sponge and wash it.
- Wipe out all the parts with dry cloth thoroughly. It is vital step to avoid any rust and oxidation. There might develop rust if it is not dried properly.
- Assemble it and store at dry place precisely. There should not any moisture presented where it is stored as it may cause rusting.
Following is the video that shows how to clean and store the meat grinder in a precise way. Take a look.
Why Storing Is Essential?
Precise storage is important for the longer life of meat grinder. But there is one issue with metal parts as they become rusty with improper care.
To avoid such problem, spray or wipe mineral oil inside and outside the grinder. Store it in a dry place. There should not be any moisture or water access. You can also store it in the freezer to prevent rust without oil spraying. But don’t skip the cleaning step. You should clean the grinder properly before store it in the freezer.
Check Out For How To Clean Juicer Parts?
How To Remove Rust On Meat Grinder (7 Easy Tips)
If your meat grinder becomes rusty, you can remove rust easily. So your grinder is got ready for use it again. Following are some easy tips that will help you remove rust on the meat grinder.
- Clean the flaky rust with a brush. Run some fatty red meat through the grinder. That will help you to remove rust. After every use lightly coat the iron parts with vegetable oil. Let them soak and wipe off it just before next use. Put a coating after every wash to prevent rusting.
- You can try Cherry-kool aid as a rust remover. You have to mix it raw without adding sugar. Soak the meat grinder parts overnight. In the morning you can see the rust fall off.
- You can remove rust with Zud or Barkeeper’s friend scouring powder. It polishes metal effectively. Then wash thoroughly and make it dry.
- Disassemble all the parts of the grinder. Soak it in white vinegar for some time (depends on rust). After soaking the parts use a stiff brush to clean. If there are rough spots, make use of brass or a stainless steel brush to scrub it thoroughly. Again soak it in hot water and baking soda solution with 2:1 ratio for few minutes. It helps for defuse the acidic action of the vinegar. Rinse the parts. Warm the coconut oil to make it in liquid form. It helps to cover their all nooks and crannies. Wipe the parts with coconut oil to prevent future rusting.
- You can also remove the rust of the meat grinder with just hot water and Dawn soap. After meat grinding process, Dawn will do the job of fat release and all rust will come out.
- After grinding process, insert a package of saltine crackers through the grinder and run it. It helps to get rid of rust.
- Eucalyptus oil is very useful to remove rust. Remove the meat bits with the brush or dry scourer. Then apply eucalyptus oil all over with using spray. Soak for some time and again clean it if there is any residue. Wash with soapy water and make it completely dry.
Check Out For Best Meat Grinder Under $200 Review
How To Remove Rust From Meat Grinder Disc
A meat grinder comes with interchangeable flat discs. It has small and large holes to controls the sizes of meat pieces. If it is not cleaned or stored precisely, it becomes rusty. Following are easy steps to get rid of rust from meat grinder disc.
- Wear a thick rubber hand gloves and cover your hands before handling disk.
- After meat grinding process, disassemble the grinder.
- Take out a disc and clean large flakes of meat with the putty knife.
- Spray or wipe vegetable oil to both sides of the disc. Scrub it with a wire brush in circular motion. Scrub with medium pressure to remove rust. Stainless steel or brass bristle brushes having offset handle very useful for remove rust.
- Apply oil again on disc. Use a needle file to clean the individual holes from both sides. It can reach to the smallest holes to clean it thoroughly.
- Wash the disc with liquid dish soap and make it dry completely. Store it in airtight container or a bag of rice to keep it extra dry.
Proper cleaning and maintenance are essential for the consistent performance of a meat grinder. You should take care of a grinder on regular basis. If you take care of grinder, it is always ready to provide you healthy ground meat for a longer time.